Value-Based Payment (VBP) is the practice of paying health care organizations for receiving quality of services provided rather than volume of patients seen. NYS DOH’s goal is to shift almost entirely from volume-based payment to outcome-based payments by 2020.
NQP has created an “Introduction to Value-Based Payment” educational video to help partners better prepare for the transition from volume-based to value-based payment models.
- Definition of value-based payment (VBP)
- The critical need for VBP
- VBP approaches: Shared Savings; Bundles; Shared Risk; Global Capitation
- Various levels of VBP available to providers
Instructions on how to access the video:
- Click here.
- Then, click either “Register for this course” or “Start Course.”
Note: You need an HWAPPS account to access the video. If you do not have an account, you will have the opportunity to create one after you click on “Register for this course.”
NYSDOH’s VBP University VBP University is designed to be an academic resource to raise awareness, knowledge and expertise in the move to VBP.
In order to obtain a VBP Certificate of Completion, students must complete and pass* the quiz at the end of each semester and attend a VBP Bootcamp.
* A passing grade is 80% or higher. You make take the quiz multiple times until you pass. Results are automatically sent to the Department of Health.
You can access VBP University here.